Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ivan Calderon wants Brian Viloria after Mayol bout

By Mark Vester

Junior flyweight champ Ivan Calderon is happy to finally end the longest inactivity of his career. He returns on June 13 at New York's Madison Square Garden on the undercard to Cotto-Clottey. He faces Filipino fighter Rodel Mayol. Calderon has not fought since last August's rematch with Hugo Cazares. Calderon suffered a bad cut in the fight, which required 43 stitches to close and kept him out of the ring for a while.

Calderon plans to take the fight to Mayol in the early rounds. He doesn't want to fall behind in case his cut opens up.

"There was a moment of frustration because I had a date (May 23), I started to train hard, but Cesar Canchila lost. Then it changed to June 6, but without knowing the opponent, my motivation dropped, but knowing at last there is a opponent, and officially a date, my motivation returns. What I hope happens now is there is nothing like an injury or something like that," Calderon told El Nuevo Dia .

"It was the longest downtime in my career and the most frustrating period as the clock runs against me. I am already 34 years old. I'm fine and I don't have any problems. I can not fight with fear of opening a wound but, if anything, I'm going to go out and win the early rounds to take the advantage on the cards if something happen."

Calderon for his next fight will be his first in the famous arena and New York is "a dream come true."

He would like to face IBF champion Brian Viloria in a unification bout.

"After this fight, we can have a great fight against Brian Viloria, which can also be for good money. Moreover, we have history as I fought him three times in the amateurs and he won two of them," Calderon said.

No comments:

Post a Comment