Monday, June 8, 2009

Ivan Calderon: Ready to Show the World That He is the Best

by Matt Yanofsky on 7 June 2009

With just six days remaining until his showdown with Filipino bomber Rodel Mayol, 25-3 (19 KO’s), Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon is ready to put on another boxing clinic. Full preparation and a complete twelve round game plan has been a norm during the last seven years for Calderon, who has schooled many opponents during his 16 world title fights. Unfortunately, recognition in the United States is not. Undefeated at 32-0 (6 KO’s) and the legitimate Junior Flyweight champion, Calderon once again will have most of the media his status as an elite champion in the sport.

With or without the deserved publicity, Calderon will be defending his WBO/Ring Magazine titles, albeit without US TV coverage. The Calderon-Mayol contest will serve as the co main event of his good friend Miguel Cotto’s title defense against Joshua Clottey, which will air on HBO. While Cotto has been receiving the bulk of the attention leading up to June 13, Calderon may have the last laugh. Although Cotto and Calderon now fight 39 pounds apart, the two duked it out in the amateurs, where Calderon won a decision. Amazing isn’t it?

15rounds.com caught up with the perennial pound for pound champion and future hall of famer for an exclusive interview, which had to be temporarily put on hold as the elusive technician was going for a run on a beautiful 80 degree afternoon.

Matt Yanofsky: Hey Ivan welcome back to New York, where you have some roots and won the 1995 Golden Gloves title. On Saturday you will be facing a big puncher in Rodel Mayol. How familiar are you with him and what is your strategy?

Ivan Calderon: I don’t know too much about him except that he is 5’4 and he has a strong left hand. My plan for the fight is to keep my normal game and box intelligently round by round. If I have the opportunity for ko I do it

MY: This will only be your second fight in New York and your first on the even of the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Does the magnitude of the setting put any added pressure on you?

IC: For me, it is something big because this is my second time in in NY. My first was in queens but this is my first time at MSG. This is important to me because I’ll be in front of a lot of Puerto Ricans who will be supporting me. I am used to fighting under pressure u know in the Olympics Vegas so I know how to control myself and listen to my corner. I always focus on what I have to do.

MY: While the Junior Flyweight division receives minimal coverage in the United States, you are one of the sport’s elite fighters. Was it upsetting that HBO isn’t televising your fight even though they often carry two bouts and you are a Puerto Rican fighting on the eve of the parade?

IC: Not really, they told me along it isn’t going to be on TV. I can’t do anything about it and this is a business so ill just keep on fighting. DirecTV will televise my fight in Puerto Rican since there was a big demand they’ll see it live 9 PM

MY: Mayol is a tough fighter without question but you are considered a comfortable favorite in the bout. If you are victorious who would you like to challenge next? I remember hearing that you are open to fights from 105-112 lbs is this still the case?

IC: Yeah. I wanted to do this since I turned pro. I want all the 108 champs but there running from me so ill take on a good 112 lb name such as Omar Narvaez. Id love to fight Brian Viloria if he gives me the opportunity.

MY: While the media hasn’t called for it, I would love to see you face WBC Strawweight champion Roman Gonzalez. At 23-0 with 20 KO’s, Gonzalez is one of if not the biggest puncher in Strawweight history. A pure boxer against a dynamite fisted fighter often makes for a good and interesting fight. Are you familiar with Roman and are you open to facing him? To me, it’s the biggest and most marketable fight to the public in the lower weight classes.

IC: I would love to face him! Like I told people, if it makes sense ill go back down. If they are going to pay me the same money at 108 then why go down if I can keep on fighting people to get paid the same and I don’t have to drop the weight. If it is a good opportunity and there’s good money ill move down.

MY: At 34 years old, how much longer are you planning to fight?

IC: I believe the age isn’t anything, it’s when you stop loving boxing when its over. I turned pro at 27, don’t have much damage and still love boxing. I don’t know when Ill stop.

MY: I hate to mention fantasy fights but I must. One of the most proposed “what if” fights in or around your division would have been a match up against the great Ricardo Lopez, who retired 51-0. How do you think that would have turned out?

IC: It would have been a good fight. I have seen him fight before and I said, I have a good chance against this guy. Most guys who fought him were scared and they didn’t have the skills I had to move around. I would have had a strong shot to win

MY: With a stacked resume already, what are you looking to accomplish before your career is over?

IC: I want to be on HBO (laughing). I want to retire like Finito did, undefeated. I want to be the best Puerto Rican when I reitre and want the recognition as one of the best

MY: Ivan thanks a ton and best of luck, I will see you on Saturday. What do you have to say in closing to your fans and the readers of 15rounds.com?

IC: Thanks for your support and all the Puerto Ricans, you will see the best small fighter you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment